In the world of web programming, HTML and ASP are two common aspects. Dot NET and HTML are the most widely used web development languages for web application development.
HTML stands for Hypertext Mark-up Language which is used for developing web pages specifically web page design. .NET is a platform which you can use for developing different types of applications such as Web applications, Desktop Applications, Mobile Applications and IoT applications among others. Now, if you want to know which one is better, this blog is intended at helping you. Read on.
Now when you want to decide choosing between both these languages, the first thing you need to be aware about is what exactly Dot Net and HTML is? Here I’ll explain the differences between both these languages.
Table of Contents
Difference Between .Net and HTML
- .NET is a software framework developed by Microsoft. While, HTML is a mark-up language used for authoring web pages.
- Dot Net provides tools to develop windows and desktop applications such as windows forms, web services, Console applications and web forms etc. HTML is a client-side language and has got something to do with the user interface, with which the user interacts. This interface is most often the browser on the user’s machine.
- In Dot Net the Common Language Runtime (CLR) allows the execution of programs written in this framework. It also provides services such as security, exception handling, memory management, loading and executing programs. Whereas HTML allows web browsers to interpret display content written between tags. It allows images and objects to be embedded in the webpage.
- The FCL or the Framework Class Library in .NET allows you to write programs using the supporting programming languages. HTML is not case sensitive and cannot connect to a database. When a browser (client) requests an HTML file to the web, a web server receives the request and returns an HTML file containing information about a product, or a list of products.
How does .NET Work?
The DOT NET Framework applications are usually written in C#, F#, or Visual Basic and these are then compiled to Common Intermediate Language (CIL). The Common Language Runtime (CLR) runs .NET applications on a given machine, converting the Common Intermediate Language (CIL) to machine code. DOT NET framework has two major components such as Common Language Runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework Class Library. The CLR is the execution engine handling running applications. The .NET Framework Class Library provides a set of APIs and types for common functionality.
How Does HTML Work?
HTML documents are files which end with a .html or .htm extension. You can view these files using any web browser (such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari). These browsers read the HTML file and render its content so that internet users can view it.
An average website usually includes several HTML pages for example; such as a home page, about page, contact page which all would have separate HTML documents.
Each HTML page consists of a set of elements which is called as tags and can be referred to as the building blocks of web pages. These tags/elements usually create a hierarchy that structures the content on a webpage into sections, headings, paragraphs and other content blocks.
Most HTML elements have an opening and a closing tag that is used as <tag></tag> syntax.
Below given is an example code on how HTML elements can be structured:
<h1>The Main Heading</h1>
<h2>A catchy subheading</h2>
<img src=”/” alt=”Image”>
<p>Paragraph two with a <a href=”https://example.com”>href=“https://example.com”>hyperlink</a></p>
The outmost element (<div></div>) is a simple division which you can use to mark-up bigger content sections.
It contains a heading (<h1></h1>), a subheading (<h2></h2>), two paragraphs (<p></p>), and an image (<img>).
The second paragraph includes a link (<a></a>) with a href attribute that contains the destination URL.
The image tag also has two attributes: src for the image path and alt for the image description.
Pros and Cons of DOT NET
.NET is a popular free platform currently used for a lot of different types of applications. It also provides the programming environment for most software development phases. .NET best suits businesses that look for a wide range of features like desktop software, web-based services and cloud infrastructure support. Let’s see some of the Pros and Cons of the .NET framework.
Pros of .NET Development
- It’s an object-oriented software development model for breaking down software into smaller pieces that are easier to manage and combine.
- The caching system in .NET is robust and simple to use and it is also designed to be extensible.
- Visual Studio IDE (used for building, debugging, and publishing applications across all platforms, including Android and iOS) is integrated with .NET and provides the features of a language-specific
- .NET Core (a cross-platform implementation) in the .NET framework allows the code to run on macOS, Windows, and Linux.
- .NET Core allows flexible deployment and easy maintenance. It can be installed as a part of your application or sometimes require a separate installation.
- .NET has an enhanced large class library called .NET Standard which greatly simplifies developers’ work.
- .NET has a large community of developers which unites engineers from small, midsize, and enterprise-grade companies. Therefore, almost any issue can be resolved with the help of community members.
- NET has built-in automatic monitoring which ensures higher stability and transparency of .NET applications.
- The two compilers of .NET – Roslyn (used for compiling C# or VB code into common intermediate language (CIL)) and RyuJIT (used to run just-in-time compilation of CIL into native code) received active Microsoft support.
Cons of .NET Development
- As .NET uses the object-oriented programming (OOP) language model, the support provided by the Entity Framework for the object-relational support is limited.
- When you want to build .NET apps, it isn’t cheap regardless of open source technologies. Most of your expenses will be spent on Visual Studio IDE and other additional collaboration and quality assurance services that Microsoft offers to simplify your work.
- A large gap exists when new products are released. This gap is all the more extended when there is a lack of proper documentation, stability and support which are prone to drastic changes.
- .NET experiences memory leaks and memory-related issues. Although it has a garbage collector to sort this problem, the engineers have to invest additional efforts into proper resource management.
- When the applications built with the old .NET Framework outnumber those with .NET Core. The transition period from .NET Core to .NET Framework may be long and difficult.
Pros and Cons of HTML
Like any programming language, HTML too comes with a handful of strengths and limitations.
Pros of HTML
- HTML is a widely used language with lots of resources and a huge community to support.
- It is capable of running natively in every web browser.
- HTML has a flat learning curve.
- It is open-sources and completely free.
- Its mark-up languages are clean and consistent.
- The official web standards of HTML are maintained by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
- HTML can be easily integrated with backend languages such as PHP and Node.js.
Cons of HTML
- Logic has no place in HTML, you have to stick on the given structures. As a result, you will have to create all pages separately, even if they use the same elements such as headers and footers of a page.
- Some browsers do not easily support new features and adaptation will be slow.
- Some older browsers don’t necessarily support newer tags.
Let’s Wrap Up
You may have got some idea about both HTML and .NET. Both these languages have their own use and therefore, the question on which one is better can be determined by the purpose you have.
While if you’re choosing the .NET framework, it provides multiple advantages. It allows simple and fast system development. You don’t need to worry about the future career scope of ASP.Net, it offers one of the promising careers and opportunities worldwide for youngsters. It is also a platform that supports many languages with already built-in features. Moreover, it provides versioning support, debugging support and many more.
Sharafudheen Mangalad is the managing director of a chain of educational institutions in the UAE. With more than 10 years of experience in the education industry, he successfully runs Edoxi Training Institute in Dubai and Time Training Center Abu Dhabi.
He is a strategist and a leader able to steer the company to the most profitable direction while also implementing its vision, mission and long term goals. He always makes sure that his business continues to grow by identifying, developing and implementing the new strategies. He leads his team in alignment with the company’s vision and values while preparing and implementing comprehensive business plans to facilitate achievement.