At, Sydney CBD & Waterloo chiropractor, I enjoy healing you. I especially love assisting those suffering from chronic & acute neck pain. If no other therapists have been able to help you with pain management, then Sydney CBD & Zetland chiropractic could be your ultimate solution.
Neck pains and headaches if not treated properly in time can lead to the difficulty is the day to day functioning. Neck pain is the fourth leading cause of disability with an annual prevalence rate exceeding 30%. Though in most cases, acute neck pains get treated with time, exercise, rest or with treatment assistance. Still, 50% of us keep experiencing either neck pains or headaches in varying degrees every now and then.
In our modern life and stressful jobs today, neck pains are common yet troublesome. There are many factors around us that can lead to severe neck pains. Some lifestyle factors that are involved include:
- Sedentary jobs- extended sitting times
- poor sitting and sleep posture- forward head carriage, sleeping on one’s stomach,
- stress- work or personal
- lack of exercise- inactive lifestyle with limited physical activity
- trauma- sudden sprain or whiplash
Myofascial trigger points are the hyperirritable taught bands of contracted muscles are commonly associated with chronic neck pain and headaches. With this article, I will introduce you to some effective self-help techniques with which prevent the formation/re-occurrence of trigger points:
- Heat pack- Roll up a heat pack in a towel and rest it under your neck for 10-15 minutes. The towel roll offers extended neck support and relaxes the affected muscles. This also pushes heat directly to the painful area. A great product to invest into would be heat packs made by wheat bags available at wheatbags.com.au. It is an impressive product as it covers the neck and the full column of muscles(erector spinae).
- Bakballs- If you observe closely, you will notice how erector spinae muscles run parallel from the entire length of the spine, starting from the pelvis go all the way up to the base of the skull. Releasing the tension in muscles with the help of back balls can have a great impact. It can help your muscles become supple and balanced which results in better pain management. You can order a useful pair of back balls at www.bakballs.com. To get the full benefits of this technique it is vital you hold at each segment for roughly 30 seconds. For great DIY solutions, you can refer to www.youtube.com/spine-release.
- Back Body Buddy- A useful tool to reach the difficult spots. It can easily reach those hard to reach places and help you release muscular tension. Back Body Buddy is easily purchased from www.bodybackbuddy.com.au and is highly recommended. The illustrations show that this tool is ideal to reach the upper back, neck, and shoulders such as the trapezius, levator scapula & neck muscles.
Moreover, research has shown that people suffering with neck pain and headaches have a higher incidence of these trigger points.
Hence, we can see in diagram 2 to 4 that there is clearly a correlation between the amount of trigger points in these muscles and pain levels when compared to people without neck pain and/or headaches.
In the diagram, one can notice that degenerative joint disease (arthritis) of the neck is not all that heavily correlated with neck pain & associated symptoms.
- Body Back Buddy
- trapezius trigger point
- Levator Scapulae trigger point
- Splenius cervices trigger point
Get in touch with Sydney CBD & Zetland chiropractor for more information on neck pains and headaches.